Sunday, April 19, 2015

Introduction To My Life...

My name is Richard D. German Junior. I am entering the contest for an accessible van because I have a difficult time getting around in my community. I live a very active life in San Diego and getting back and forth to my many doctor’s appointments, college classes, baseball games, etc. is extremely challenging for me.
I was born with cerebral palsy. I have many medical issues and rely heavily on others to help me with my day to day activities. I have a physical disability, but my mind is sharp and because of this it is hard to have to rely upon others for help all the time, my own vehicle will make me feel more independent.

I am very active in the community. I have been attending Community College for 7 years and I’m nearly done with my associate’s degree. I love to attend baseball games downtown. I enjoy helping out at church. I enjoy meeting new people and can be relied on for helping others in wheelchairs navigate the trolley and bus system. I have many friends but unfortunately am unable to do actives with them in the evenings since I am in a power wheelchair. Using public transportation after dark in my neighborhood is not safe. I can always be counted on to go above and beyond for my friends and family.

I like to spend time with my family but unfortunately my mom and dad’s home is not close to any bus routes. They also do not have accessible sidewalks and I have actually gotten tickets for using my wheelchair in the bike lane trying to get to and from their house! It sounds funny to get a ticket in a wheelchair, but it happens because driving on the street is unsafe for me and the other vehicles.

I had a van in the 1990’s but it broke down and was impounded. Because I am on a limited income I was unable to get it back and afford the repairs. Since then I have relied only upon public transportation.

I am on disability, so there is no way I will ever be able to afford to get a new van by myself. Is there any way you can help me? Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment